Thursday, July 9, 2009

Harima

So, I found out about a Japanese restaurant in Bangalore city center last week (turns out it is THE only Japanese restaurant in Karnataka), so went there for lunch on Sunday. Its called Harima, and its on the 4th floor of a totally shitty building along a busy N/S thoroughfare called Residency road. Its quite lovely inside, very Japanese. The mistake I made was going so soon after having awesome sushi in Kuala Lumpur. They had Asahi beer. Its the first place I've been to, including swank places like Lila Palace, that have any other beer except Kingfisher, Budweiser, or rarely Carlsburg. But they were proud of it at 400 INR per small beer. They also had sake, also very expensive for 150ml pour ( I think 800 INR?). There was no sushi bar, and the sushi menu was very limited. The day I went, they had tuna, salmon, and eel. That's it. It was also very expensive. It was 800 INR for two small pieces of eel sushi, for example. The quality was not great. It wasn't particularly cold, and they cut the tuna incorrectly against the grain of the fish so it looked ugly. The wasabi was very low quality, very doughy and not hot at all. And the ginger was a very dark brown (so off color I did not even think about trying it). Half the restaurant is floor seating on a mat, half normal chair seating. I ended up racking up an 4100 lunch tab for just myself, which is an astronomical amount of money for food here. My groceries for a month at the nicest grocery store in the nicest part of town (see Spar post earlier) are less than that.
I didn't get sick from the meal, which is good. But I wont be going back. If I get the DTs for sushi in the future I will get on a plane for a night in Singapore.


No comments:

Post a Comment