Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Singapore: At Night


Just some pics from walking around at night. The Christmas lights are out and very pretty. I went to the theater on Orchard Blvd. to see New Moon, but unfortunately it doesn't open until Dec 3 in Singapore. So I saw Christmas Carol, and I saw it in 3D. Its a pretty astounding technical achievement in many ways. I truly think they beat the uncanny valley with Scrooge. The lighting and surfacing are gorgeous, the eyes have life, and the mocap is fluid and enjoyable. The lighting for the whole film is very daring - very dark, lots of shots are lit just through fx elements - especially with the ghost of Christmas Present. Jim Carrey's performances are phenomenal, I think the second instance of needing an Academy Award category (or special achievement Oscar) for mocapped performance (first being Andy Serkis for Gollum, of course). The 3D is good, not too many theme park moments (a few hands reaching out, to be sure). But its not incredible. Its used well with the lighting, putting a point light like a candle in forward z space creates an interesting depth. But the cityscape scenes should have been pushed deeper to create a real epic look. There are also some really scary moments. I thought a few times if I would have seen it as a kid I would have been scared shitless.
All in all, for someone that doesn't particularly enjoy the genre of cartoons, and doesn't particularly enjoy the 3D experience, I very much appreciated the film, which is pretty big props. Congrats Image Movers, sorry your box office wasn't stronger.
There was also a very long trailer for Avatar. I'm dying to be proved wrong on this one, but that film looks like a steaming pile of crap.
After the movie I went to an underground live music bar called the No Bar. Its entrance was in an alley, it was all basement level, it was relatively affordable, it had live rock music. Certainly this is the place in Singapore where they let their hair down a bit and drop a napkin on the ground. Hell no, it was spotless. And the drinks sucked, their mojito was made with this plutonium green mint/lime syrup mix and was disgusssting.
It should be mentioned in every post, though - my God there are beautiful women in Singapore. All dressed incredibly well and so well put together.







No comments:

Post a Comment