Friday, June 26, 2009

Kuala Lumpur day one






Kuala Lumpur is pretty awesome. Its very modern, everything is spotless, a monorail that runs through the city, great all around. Its pretty hot, not crazy hot, but maybe like 90F. But very, very humid. So humid the lens of my camera fogged up constantly outside. I was going to spend an hour or so this morning teasing and feathering my hair but I'm sure glad I didn't as it would have instantly lost all of its body and fell limp.
Its a muslim country, and there is certainly evidence of that; signs to the prayer rooms in public places, maybe about 1/2 the women wear their head covered in a Hijab. But they aren't too hardcore, I've only seen a few Burqas, and you can drink in restaurants outside of hotels.
The people are okay looking. Didn't see anyone strikingly attractive though. A lot more white people than in India, but still not too many. At least 1/2 the people wear corrective lens eye glasses. Probably closer to 2/3. Bad eyes in the genes in Malaysia, I guess.
I went to Transformers 2 at the theater under twin towers. The multiplex of 10 theaters was entirely devoted to Transformers 2, and it was entirely sold out at 4pm on a weekday. My god this movie is going to make a ridiculous amount of money internationally. The theater was very nice, on par with the Arclight; assigned seats, spacious, clean theater, big screen, great digital sound. There were Malaysian subtitles. The audience was pretty good. One pair of women yapped through the whole thing, but it wasn't too distracting as there is an explosion about every 12 seconds in the movie. And, a few cell phone texters, but not too egregious.
The movie is the cinematic equivalent of the "doing lines of coke off of a hooker's ass" cliche. Its completely reckless excess with no thought for the outcome or the consequences. Its loud and dumb and long and filled with mistakes. But I kinda liked it. And Megan Fox is a treasure of the modern day. I would be totally fine if a law was passed that there must be a slow-mo shot of Megan Fox out-running an explosion in every movie produced. It would be a better world, my friends. Trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment